20.1.09

Squee!!! A Comic Book about Knitting!!

I'm super excited to announce that I received my sneak peek of HandKnit Heroes, and I have to confess that I love it so, so very much, on the geekiest, nerdiest level inside of myself!!!

See, I worked at a comic shop when I was 13; putting backing boards and books into bags, and taping them shut... for 5 cents a piece! So naturally, I developed quite the efficiency for this task. In the few years I stayed there, I saw so many books it could make your eyelids want to peel off... if you're a girl, and you believed in modern feminism - as I did, and still do.

So anyhoo - back to the book! I wondered what it would be like, signing up for the preview; and I have to say I'm not disappointed! It's a real comic book, with great characters and a well written story, and it's about knitting, AND it has a pattern at the back! Can it get any better than this? I kinda doubt it... although who knows for sure what's next, for the web and knitting worlds??? It's actually funny, too - which I always found to be lacking in old comic books. They'd try alright... waaaay too hard. HkH got it just right! Can't wait for issue #2!

The pattern, the POW! Hooded Scarf (link works for Ravelry folks only - sorry!) is simple and yet so adaptable; picking different colors or fibers of yarn could make it so different, depending on your taste and needs. I'd even think about lining the pockets with sewn fabric, just so I could throw this on to head out grocery shopping - and NOT have my keys snag in it!

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Hereville by Barry Deutsch, which recently won the 2011 Association of Jewish Libraries' Sydney Taylor Award (Older Readers division)?

    The cover (as you can see at http://www.hereville.com/wp-content/uploads/front_cover_625wide1.png) shows Mirka - the heroine - standing on top of a gigantic ball of yarn, a triumphant smile on her face.

    The "battle" against the troll towards the end of the book involves a knitting contest. You can view a low-res scan of a page from the contest at http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/afuse8production/files/2010/08/Hereville-sequence.jpg

    I can send a higher-res scan for your website if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails